The seventh month of the year and the official start to summer is ticking by.
Here are seven soothing ways to escape the summer heat in Niseko:
- Niseko may be a very quiet corner of the world, but we’ve managed to pick up on one of the most rapidly growing activities out there – Stand Up Paddle boarding. SUPing has made its way from the Hawaii coast all the way to the Shiribetsu River that winds around our mountain playground.
- Make a splash – literally – with a trip down the Shiribetsu on a professionally guided rafting tour. Want to bring the little ones along for a toned-down trip? A leisurely canoe cruise down the river is also an option.
- We’re loving the summer sunshine, but still catch ourselves dreaming of powder turns by night…so it’s a good thing we have wakeboarding on the calm and crystalline Lake Toya to keep our ski and snowboard legs in shape!
- Whether it’s your inaugural trip or your annual pilgrimage to Niseko in green season, you won’t step off the plane or train without instantly pausing to take in as much fresh mountain air as you can. Get an extra lungful with a thrilling zip-line ride as you fly over 230 metres of Hanazono Ski Area’s pristine fields.
- Treat your eyes to what’s known as ‘Shakotan Blue’ – the breathtaking colour of the Shakotan Peninsula’s waters. Get a new perspective of the rugged coastline with a day spent sea kayaking the inlets and bays of the famed peninsula.
- It’s rumoured that ‘monster trout’ inhabit the waters of the Shiribetsu river…grab your bait and tackle for your chance at reeling in one of these mythical monster fish.
- We would be remiss not to include the most time-honoured tradition of summer…ice cream! Sample the flavours of Niseko’s local dairy producers, and even try your hand at making your own creation.